Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Keeping Your Head Above Water

In this day and time of uncertainty and ever changing situations it can be really difficult to maintain a positive outlook on life. With a recent job change myself I know how life can surprise you and knock the wind out of your sails. With every struggle that I go through I try really hard to think about the positive to minimize the negative thoughts and feelings that come my way. Yes, they will come in a flood to try to get us down, distract us from what we know we should do. But it is all in how you handle things that determines the outcome. Sure, I have had days, and will continue to, that all I want to do is pull the covers over my head and block out the world and everyone in it. I have spent enough time in the mud wallowing in my own self-pity and doubt. A certain amount of grief is good and even beneficial but there comes a time when enough is enough and we have to decide to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and determine from this point where we shall go. I have recently read a quote that the "only way from down is up". That is so true. I know that it is not going to be easy and that I will probably get knocked down again a million more times and that is ok. As long as I continue to get up again. I am in the mode now where I am actively seeking for a full time position in my field and in this day and age the job search in itself is a full time job. I know I may have to wait for what I want and in order to get there I may have to take whatever comes my way until I get a more ideal position. Rarely is there a person that desires to be in a top position starts out at the top. In the meantime I have chosen to focus on the things that I know that I can do and continue to perservere in the face of adversity. I want to focus on my talents and things that make me happy. Being able to continue to take my college classes has been such a blessing and the one positive thing that I can actively do towards my long-term goals. Also, regularly taking stock in my talents and abilities and strengths, and when need be, cultivating those. I have had many wise people give me advice and have heard from other people that are in the same struggles as I echo the same sentiment..." you just have to keep going forward". So that is my advice to myself and others as well.

No comments: